Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Q&A with Adriana Castro



Who would have thought that watching crocodiles in the wild would have made such an impact on a young girl’s mind? And that the same young girl (now not even in her 30s) would later be the creative force behind one of today’s most successful handbag lines.

Full of rich colors, delicate textures and elegant designs, Adriana Castro’s handbags and accessories are made for the stylish women of any age. And we personally are completely smitten and going gaga for her Coco Clutch in Aquamarine and her Eva Clutch in Natural/Sun Frame.


Born in the industrial city of Barranquilla, Colombia, Adriana Castro’s first collection (Spring/Summer 2007), named Amazonia, was inspired by the range of beauty, color and life that surrounded her beloved Colombia. And a message to all those environmental/animal rights activists out there: by buying Adriana Castro’s pieces you are actually contributing to the repopulation program of the caiman species, under the supervision of the Colombian Ministry of Natural Resources and the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES). Finally, fashion Zen!! Namaste Adriana.


Adriana has worked her magic and has definitely taken over the fashion world. In 2007 Gen Art presented Adriana with the Fresh Faces in Fashion Award for Accessory Design, then in June 2009, Adriana received the Independent Handbag Designer Award for "Audience Fan Favorite" and during this year’s 20th International Footwear and Leather Show, Adriana Castro was invited as a guest of honor.

And let us not forget, her incredible and fashion forward designs will be featured in the hands of fashions finest: Ms. Carrie Bradshaw; yes, that’s right, look for Sarah Jessica Parker in Sex and The City II with one of Ms Castro’s handbags… let’s just hope for Samantha, Miranda and Charlotte’s sake that Carrie knows how to share a good bag!

And readers we have a special treat for you because we had the pleasure to have a one-on-one Q&A with Adriana and we were able to ask her some questions about her inspirations and her Fall Collection 2010, which we are so excited and completely dying to check-out.

Fein Girls: More inspirational: Miami, New York, Paris or Barranquilla; City lights or ocean breeze?
Adriana Castro: Tough question. I would say the combination of all these cities, love the city lights but can’t live without the ocean breeze.

FG: What is your favorite T.V. show?
AC: Gossip Girl.

FG: When did you realize you wanted to become a fashion designer?
AC: I was born and raised in Barranquilla, Colombia, where as a young girl, I spent time in my father’s crocodile farm (he was in the exotic skin business). During my time spent there, I grew to appreciate the skins he worked with. I entered adulthood knowing that my passion was to design accessories using these exotic skins, including crocodile, lizard, python, eel and ostrich. At that critical point, I decided to learn as much as possible about running a business, so I decided to go to school for Economics. I attended Purdue University and obtained a Bachelor’s Degree in Economics, before I began classes at Miami International University of Art & Design. Then, I briefly worked for Sony but I was overwhelmed by the monotony of the corporate world. So at age 24, I decided to pursue my true ambition: I launched my first Handbag and Accessory collection using only exotic skins “Adriana Castro.”

FG: Tell me about the process of sketching a design; do you prefer sketching designs or actually constructing them?
AC: I start with sketches and then move forward to construction. Love playing with skins, colors and textures during construction. Most of the ideas come during this process.

FG: Greatest accomplishment until now?
AC: My greatest achievement has been the process of learning all aspects of starting and running a fashion business, maintaining strong relationships with my family and friends. I have learned how to keep my priorities straight and focus on the things that are truly most important to me, so I can live a happy life!

FG: What is your future fashion goal?
AC: My goal is to establish a great level of brand recognition. I aspire to become a brand name that is associated among the best in the world of exotic skin accessories, both with the consumer and within the fashion industry.

FG: How did you felt the first time you saw your handbags in a store? Magazine? On a celebrity?
AC: Mixture of emotions; happy, proud. It is definitely an exciting moment when you see a piece that you personally created on a celebrity that you admire. It makes me feel proud and is very flattering.

FG: What was the first article you ever designed?
AC: My first design was the Crocodile Coco Clutch, which remains a classic piece on my line. It is a structured, oversize clutch with a natural horn closure. It is a unique design and a very practical handbag, both for day and evening and is now also available in Python.





FG: Describe the general process you go through to design and realize one of your pieces.
AC: Mood Board, Sketches, Sample Construction, Edits etc..

FG: What do you dislike about designing handbags?
AC: There is nothing that I dislike. I love everything about it…designing gives me the opportunity to express my own style, provide customers with a product they love and enjoy. I love following what is happening within the fashion industry; watching the trends and style influencers who embrace them. I enjoy hearing feedback from my customers and meeting great people who inspire me creatively…There are no boundaries within fashion, anything goes!

FG: How would you define your personal style?
AC: Classic with an avant garde touch.

FG: In one word, describe your Fall Collection 2010?
AC: Luxe.

FG: Where do you get your inspiration?
AC: I am inspired by the look, feel and finish of the variety of skins. I can envision my handbags just thinking of how the skins will drape and how the different textures will blend together. Also, color is another great inspiration. I am in love with color. Color is so powerful. In Miami, where I live and work, I am surrounded by an amazing, vibrant palette…from the tropical landscape to the unique architecture, I am constantly thinking of new ideas just walking around the city!

FG: What is your favorite exotic skin and colors to work with and why?
AC: Crocodile. Love the sensual texture. Colors? Timeless colors that can be carried throughout the year. Neutral colors will carry you from season to season and make a great investment when purchasing a luxurious handbag.

FG: Where can readers find out more about you and your work?
AC: At adrianacastroonline.com and adrianacastroblog.com

FG: Would you consider venturing into designing a clothing line and/or men’s fashion?
AC: Maybe in the future, but at this time, I am focusing on Handbags & Accessories.

FG: What would be your advice for new designers who are struggling to get their designs out there?
AC: Perseverance.

FG: Where can readers buy your handbags, belts and accessories?
AC: At adrianacastroonline.com, Ultimo in Chicago (and ultimo.com), Vivre.com, Addison Craig in Sarasota, Harvey Nichols in Hong Kong, Circle & Square in San Francisco, Green Grass, Cybele and Julian Chang in Miami, Next in Palm Beach and in Henri Bendel in New York City. For more retailers, please visit our website adrianacastroonline.com


And there you have it ladies!
xx The Fein Girls







No comments:

Post a Comment